Re: [TowerTalk] which rope for element anti-vibration

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] which rope for element anti-vibration
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:36:47 -0400
Back in the 70's we were building what we thought were heavy duty yagi's. Constant tapers with 1/2" or 5/8" tips. They buzzed like crazy in light winds and shed pieces of the tips on a regular basis.

Someone suggested the rope-in-element trick, which cured the problem absolutely. Every element got the rope, which I believe was usually 3/8" poly - the cheapest rope we could find. I've always believed the mechanism was simply the rope slapping the tube if the flutter tried to start. If that is it, then it would make sense to use something that has some minimum amount of mass, but not so thick that there is no room to move.

Lately I've been buying commercial OWA Yagi's; they seem to have solved the issue with judicious taper scheduling.

-Steve K8LX