Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C31XR Modeling

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C31XR Modeling
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 11:46:45 -0800
On 2/22/23 9:32 AM, David Needham wrote:
Anyone's guess on the transmission line impedance as described? I've found
calculators for 2 conductors in free space, but I'm scratching my head on
what the Romex covering will do for the dielectric constant. So far my 120
ohms seems like a decent guess, but I wouldn't mind having something better
than my guess.

I'd try an epsilon of 2.  Most plastics are around 3 (depending on water content), but there's some air space too.

Twisted pair with PVC or PTFE insulation has a Z0 of about 100-120 ohms -

You could measure it if you were ambitious.  It's a short piece, isn't it? Way less than a wavelength? it might not make much difference.