[TowerTalk] : Antenna wire source?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] : Antenna wire source?
From: "jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:48:26 -0700
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna wire source?

If you're looking for strong and flexible, what about stainless steel
aircraft cable?? Sure, you'll lose a bit from increased resistance, but
maybe it's small enough to not matter.? 'DUY is looking at AWG22, so
it's already kind of lossy.

To be honest, I don't know if you can get SS flex cable that small - AWG
22 is 0.025" (1/40th) inch.? I've seen1/32nd. (0.03125") type 304.?
(hey, Grainger has 27/1000 diameter, that's pretty close - and they have
0.021, which is even smaller.)

SS 304 is about 2.5 times more resistive than Copper, but if we neglect
permeability (Is 304 non-magnetic?) the skin depth is twice what it is
in copper (at 10 MHz, 1.6 mil vs 0.8 mil), so the actual resistance is
about the same.

304 ss is normally non-magnetic (mu of 1.005 or something like that) -
but that might be an annealed piece.? Cold working (i.e. drawing into
wire) can change the crystalline structure and make it magnetic, and if
the mu goes up, then the skin depth gets thinner, so the resistance
would rise.? That's also measured at DC - the permeability could be
significantly different at HF.

##  using K6STI's latest coil program,  316 SS  is a full 7 times as much
resistance as copper,
on 160m.    I have wound identical coils using silver plated copper,
copper, and also 304 SS.   The aluminum coils ran hot.  The SS coils  ran
stupid hot.

## Then tried an experiment, replacing the 20m silver plated, tubing  tank
coil in a hb linear, with an identical  aluminum tubing coil.  Both are
identical dimensions, spacing, form factor, and uh.
The aluminum tank coil ran way too hot.

##  Dunno if any of the above  pertains to wire ants.   Myself, I would
just use RW-90 power cable, in whatever gauge you want.   You can get RW-90
power cable in the outdoor version, that is water proof, and also UV
proof.   I have used the regular indoor version....outdoors with wire ants,
and never had any issues.  I bought 1000' of the 10 ga  RW-90 years ago, at
a reasonable  price back then.   Stranded copper, easy to solder, or use
compression crimp lugs etc.  Dunno how small a ga you can get RW-90 in.

Jim   VE7RF