Re: [TowerTalk] Help with FIRST TIME STATION

To: "Dave ." <ktx85@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with FIRST TIME STATION
From: Ken WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:38:50 -0500
I think one reason for the variations is that   standards (calculations)
have changed over time (thank the lawyers?)   In 1971, I put up a Heights
72' aluminum tower.  It required a 4'x4'x4' concrete base.  No mention of
concrete strength or rebar requirements.   I literally hand mixed the
concrete over two days in a wheelbarrow, one shovel of cement, two of sand,
three of gravel.  It was rated for at least 10 sq ft. Now the same tower
requires a sonotube hole, 3.5' in diameter by 7.5' deep with a welded rebar
cage.  They say the sootube isn't necessary if you don't mind pouring an
additional 2  or 3 yards of concrete!

We had an online discussion about tower failures a few years ago.  It seems
that almost all failures are 20-30' above ground, few or none fail by the
base being insufficient.

We get some high winds here.  I couldn't dig my base deep enough for my
current tower (Rohn HBX-56), I hit bedrock at 40".  I'm not worried about
it.  YMMV.

Ken WA8JXM