[TowerTalk] "Best" Amphenol PL259 was "PL-259 - can connectors be recycl

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Best" Amphenol PL259 was "PL-259 - can connectors be recycled?"
From: Kimo Chun <kimochun@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 08:02:58 -1000
I don't intend to create any controversy.

The 83-1SP is "plenty good" for most or all applications in our Amateur
Radio work. Anything more may be a waste.
I've mentioned this before but recently cleared up, at least in my mind,
subtle differences between the "best" two PL-259 models. "Best" is just an
opinion and unsubstantiated by me.

For what it is worth:
The 83-1SP is silver plated only on the central connector body. Its
insulation is not PTFE (Teflon). It is listed in corrected specifications
as "LCP". My initial search on Google came up with "Liquid Crystal
Polymer". I don't know if it is applicable. Thus, I don't know Amphenol's
LCP thermal characteristics which may be relevant in possible heavy heating
of the connectors during installation, or in this case, removal. Amphenol
Marketing material incorrectly stated that the 83-1SP had Teflon
insulation. I found an engineering drawing that listed a "correction" of
that error. I'll send anyone the pdf drawing if requested. I may be able to
back trace the Web site I got it from to provide a current link.

The Amphenol RF part number 83-886-2050, PL259 is different in that it does
have PTFE insulation and is fully silver plated, both body and shell. It
also includes a small, I believe PTFE, disk/washer that is placed over the
center conductor before screwing the body onto the coax. I presume it is to
help reduce the chance of shorting if too much solder is introduced in the
tip of the connector. Pure speculation. Oh, I believe Amphenol has at least
two different product lines covering our beloved UHF connectors. Those with
the RFX suffix are of, I believe, a different product line. Sometimes,
different materials and, more importantly, different plating is used. Read
the specs carefully. Silver plated surfaces are much easier to solder.

So, at the risk of disagreement, I consider it to be the "best" PL259,
albeit more expensive and perhaps harder to source. I recently purchased a
quantity of 50 (to reduce cost) and found at least two national online
distributors that had them in stock.

Buying and using these may be worthwhile to some and theoretically they may
withstand recycling "better" as it is being discussed if, thermally, PTFE
is better or even necessary than LCP. But spending a few dollars more per
connector contradicts one concept of recycling, saving money. That is not
to say that the 83-1SP cannot be used then easily and readily reused /
recycled by a careful and practiced hand. I've done it successfully, in a
pinch, but I mostly just use new connectors. I do use many 83-1SP
connectors as well. No problem.

Most average amateurs may not need 50 or more connectors in their ham
career while others definitely do. I help maintain 6 towers of a M/M
contest station plus my own and have other DXpedition and club uses so my
needs exceed those of others.

My first purchase of these was in 1996 via my company and Motorola Parts
(where I first discovered them). In quantity 50, I paid, coincidentally,
$2.59 each.

Just, hopefully, useful information for your perusal.

73, Aloha,
Kimo Chun KH7U
fka Delta Communications, Inc.