Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 204BA mod

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain 204BA mod
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2024 16:16:56 -0700
Hi Yuri,

The main thing you are doing wrong is studying only SWR, the variable that matters the least, and ignoring gain and pattern as it changes over the band, which is why we have beams in the first place. YW allows us to study that (although we've got to study pattern by changing frequency). Don't even bother with matching until you've optimized the pattern for what you want!

I'm on the west coast, so I care only about forward gain over the entire band, don't care about front to back. Being in the east, you may be more interested in F/B.

73, Jim K9YC