[VHFcontesting] 432 activity

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 432 activity
From: ezimmerm@erols.com (Eugene Zimmerman)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:54 2003
Hi Tree:

Ed K3DNE said it all concerning the activity hours.  They are still valuable
but asking everyone you work what other bands they have and relentlessly
moving them without fail is the way to go in a VHF contest.  That said,
trying to increase activity on activity night (Wed nites at 9 p.m. local) is
a good way to keep up interest every week not only the week before the
contest.  Your plans for a beacon are also very valuable - nothing better
than knowing in advance that your station is working.

Likewise mail/Email to known active stations couldn't hurt and might help.
The Packrats have for many years sent out a mailer to all the stations
within a certain tropo radius of Philadelphia, who sent in contest logs the
previous year or have been known to be active in the past.  This mailer
contains a list of all the Packrats and what bands they have available.

Finally you should definitely consider a preamp for the 736R on 432.  Works
great with one even in the shack; deaf as a stone without one.  ARR sells a
really good RF switched one that handles 25 watts if your brick doesn't have
one.

Best of luck.

73  Gene  W3ZZ