[VHFcontesting] re. 6 Meter antenna

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re. 6 Meter antenna
From: n0jk@hotmail.com (jon jones)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:30 2003
>>On Wed., 27 Nov 2002  "Tom Branch" <tom@k4nr.org> wrote:
>Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6 Meter Antenna
>
>I'm adding a 6 meter antenna to my farm to play around on 6.  I have two
>feet
>with 40 feet of coax.  The tower mount is clear in all directions--the
>lower
>height is not. I'm guessing the loss on the coax far outweighs the height
>advantage.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>73 de Tom
>
>tom@k4nr.org
>http://www.k4nr.org

- - - -
>Tom,
  With 6 Meter F2 just about gone for this solar cycle most of your
6M DX will probably be via Es, M/S or AU, with most signals coming in at
a relatively high angle. A yagi at 60 feet will work well but with almost
3 db of coax loss, you will miss out on those weak signals. Remember that
the loss affects both receive and transmit.

I can speak as someone who ran a 6el yagi at 70' for solar cycle 22 and
the same antenna on the roof of our suburban Maryland (DC area) house at
the 30' level on cycle 23.  At 30' the antenna looks into trees taller
than it within 70 ft in all of the main DX directions (NE, E, S, SW & W).
As far as F2 performance, with this antenna the 6M DXCC totals climbed
from 113 to 146 from Oct. 2001 to Oct. 2002.  The DX was worked with a
single 4X150 running 200W max output. I can't say that if the antenna was
on the tower instead of on the 30 ft level that any new 6M countries would
have been worked.

If I had the choice that you have, unless you can afford much lower
loss coax over the 200+ ft run, I'd put the antenna on the roof.
If you can reduce coax losses, then put the 6 Meter yagi on the tower.

73 de Rich - K1HTV
dz@voa.gov

Regarding 6M F2 - while a low angle of radiation from a high yagi certainly
helps, like Rich -
most of my 6M F2 DX this cycle has been worked relatively low antennas. I
use an attic dipole(25 feet above ground) or 2 el yagi portable at 20 feet
and worked plenty of Europeans and JAs last fall. Kansas is pretty flat, so
have a decent horizon. My coax loss is negligible.  So... the yagi at 40
feet should do well as a start. Being on the radio at the right time is very
important for 6M DXing. Later if you want to put the yagi up higher, LMR
coax is one way to lower the feedline loss. Trey N5KO uses LMR at HC8N for
all their antenna systems and it works well on the 6M station there.

>Users of the Magic Band are still hoping beyond hope that the December
solar flux shoot beyond 200 for one last shot at 6 Meter F2 DX. We
should know by mid-month if 6M F2 DX is history for this cycle.

I sure am. With the winter Es season underway we may have some interesting
"Es links to F2" as well.

- Jon NØJK