[VHFcontesting] RE: Icom vs. Yaesu question

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: Icom vs. Yaesu question
From: k2txb@dxcc.com (Russ Pillsbury)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:15 2003
Jack, it's not a Japanese thing, it's an Icom thing!  And it is one of the
reasons I would not own an Icom if it was given to me.  I have never owned
an Icom radio but I have had plenty of experience using them at multiop
contest sites, and all that experience has been bad.  Lower sideband on CW?
Don't those engineers ever operate above 40 meters???  On one Icom rig the
cw key input was wired wrong.  It would key the rig, but would not operate
the amplifier keying circuit when you pressed the key.  Getting into the
circuit board and cutting a trace and wiring the key line to the opposite
side of a diode fixed this one, but not easily.  Overloading receivers,
noise blankers that don't blank and do overload, distortion on transmit
audio, etc etc.  I'll stay with my Yaesu and Kenwood radios.  They are not
perfect either but I think their engineers are a lot more savvy!

73, Russ K2TXB