[VHFcontesting] Newbie VHFer needs advice re mountain-topping in CQ WW V

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Newbie VHFer needs advice re mountain-topping in CQ WW VHF test
From: baack@monet.umecut.maine.edu (Jay)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:16 2003
> I am a VHF newbie.  I got the gear described above just before Field Day.
> I have figured out how to use repeaters.
> I think I have packet sorted out but have some technical problems not
> yet fixed.
> I have made 1 6m SSB contact in my life
> I have made 1 2m SSB contact in my life.

Being a newbie, I would try to run the contest from your home.
This will save you from having to move the beam off the roof of the house, give
you more time to operate, let you take comfortable breaks, (aka to eat and use
the bathroom) and provide you with a secure environment that weather can't come
and disrupt like it can at 6100 feet. Operating from home will also allow you
access to some other propagation aides.

> I have 2 questions.  #2 has many parts.

> 2.  Can you give me some strategy pointers?  (I have read the rules.)
> e.g.
> a)  If I'm going to call CQ, is there any particular frequency that
> would be best for CW/SSB/6/2?

Depending on your CW proficiency and or desire to operate CW, I would listen on
50 MHz from 50.080 -> 50.250 for SSB and CW stations.  If SSB is your game,
50.110 - 50.250.  Please remember while .125 is the calling frequency there is A
LOT more space around it to call CQ. (more on this below)

Be mindful of the DX window from .110 - 125 as well, you might hear some DX pop
through.  Since you have 100W and a decent antenna I would focus my energies on
this band.  Ground wave as well as some nice E skip should be achievable
assuming that the prop gods are smiling upon us.

If your beam can 'play' with a reasonable SWR up around 52.525 MHz, I would
program that into a memory and check there a few times an hour for any FM
activity.  Who knows, you might pick up some FM stations as well.

On two meters good practice would dictate listening from 144.110 -> 144.250 MHz
for SSB and CW stations, with the calling frequency on 144.200 (more on this
below). With the limited power on two meters, you may have to work a bit harder
here to A) get a stations attention and B) work them.   However, it has been
down with less!

FM wise on two meters, 146.55, 146.58. 146.455 are all popular (here in the
North East) for FM contesters.

> c)  How should I split my time between 6 & 2?
see above

> d)  How do I minimize the likelihood of missing some great opening on 6?
Well, SINCE this is your first contest you are not likely going out to win the
whole thing.  Chances are you want to have fun operating, learn a bit about
propagation, and see what is out there for a weaksignal.  That and the fact that
you are only going to operate for 4-5 hours (as stated above) I would use all
the tools available to me.

One of them (FLAME SUIT NOW ON) is the internet.  I would watch the propagation
pages to see if anyone is reporting propagation in your area, or if anyone is
hearing you or anyone else that you can hear.

Now I know using the internet is ILLEGAL in contests depending on what 'class'
you want to submit your score in. (That line is for the contest cops)

I ALSO know that you might as well use this contest as a learning experience.
Since you are so new to the weaksignal arena I would use all the tools that I
could.

Web URL to watch: http://dxworld.com/dxprop.html
as well as http://www.dxsummit.com/ (not working at the moment).

These sites should help you get your feet wet with how the propagation is
working for the contest.

> e)  Is DN09 a rare grid square?

It is pretty rare for me in Maine!

> f)  Any other pointers you can give?

call call call call call call call call call call call call call call a lot of
CQs.
Listen for the big guns, try to work them, and then call cq a lot.  Make some
noise.  Make the folks with the more established systems find you!

While I mentioned that 50.125 and 144.200 are the calling frequencies it is
pretty poor form to call endlessly on it.  Especially if you are a big gun.

The best thing to do is to LISTEN once in a while on .200 and .125 but find your
own place to call cq else where in the band.

Have fun!

- Jay  N1RWY  FN54no
baack@maine.edu