[VHFcontesting] N9RLA/R plans for the 2002 ARRL June VHF QSO Party

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N9RLA/R plans for the 2002 ARRL June VHF QSO Party
From: n9rla@yahoo.com (Dan Evans, N9RLA)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:09 2003
Hi Folks,
A couple of minor revisions to the N9RLA/R plan of action:

How is your contest planning coming along?  The ARRL 2002 June VHF QSO Party
is just around the corner [
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2002/June-VHF.pdf ]  I'm planning my
longest Rove yet in hopes of scoring another personal best.  It won't be
easy, I done pretty well last June.  But this time out I'm adding two more
grids activated, to bring the total to 10, and a third band to the setup!
Here is my Rover Schedule:

A big thanks here to Bob, K4RXR, for helping me track down good sites in KY!

Start the contest in
> Bath Co. High School, Owingsville KY
> N 38 08.409  W 083 46.583  EM88cd  1060ft
> School parking lot, some power lines, nearly clear view in all directions

Operate until 19:00z then move to
> Mack Cemetery, Frenchburg
> N 37 55.813  W 083 37.226  EM87ew  1340ft
> Not too many trees

Operate until 20:00z then move to EM77. Probably near Lexington, KY
Operate for about an hour then move to EM76. Near Radcliff, KY
That would likely put me on in EM76 about 22:00z.
Operate for about an hour then move to my favorite spot up in EM78.
That would likely put me on the air from the top of firetower hill in Clark
State Forest at about 00:00z.  Near Henryville, IN.
If the activity is there, I like to spend extra time on the hill for the
extra DX. I may also move over to EM68, near Salem IN, around 02:00z and
operate as long as
there are contacts to be made. Then slip over to Scottsburg and go to bed
for a few hours.   Bright and early, or as early as Roverly possible I'll
head for my next
favorite spot in EM69, high up on firetower hill in Brown County state park,
near Nashville IN.
This is another spot that I like to spend extra time to pick up some good
DX. So around 1400z I'll head for the next grid EN60 up north of Indy around
Noblesville IN.
Operate there for an hour then slip over to EN70, the other side of
Noblesville IN. By then, I'll have gone through a couple of tanks of gas,
too many cheese burgers, my voice will be
about gone, and Rover fatigue will have set in so I'll point the Ranger back
toward Scottsburg. I'll gather up a few more FM QSO's on the way, and
possibly stop in EM79, probably near Columbus IN, for a few minutes. But
EM79 is as common as dirt, and I haven't really found a "good" location to
work from there, so I likely
won't stay long.   So that makes about 10 grids, in two states!

The equipment is pretty much ready:-)  I'll have my Icom 746 with 100 watts
out on 6 & 2 meters.  I'll also have a DEM 432 transverter with about 5
watts out.  The transverter just made it back from DEM with a clean bill of
health.  I really appreciate DEM getting it back to me in time for the
contest, great job:-)

I'll have my homebrew Moxon Rectangle for 6 meters.  On two meters I'll be
using my homebrew 8 element yagi.  And for 432 I have an 11 element
CushCraft yagi.  These will all be supported by my homebrew 27' push-up mast
that will be mounted in the back of my Ford Ranger.  All of this will be
rotated with my freshly repaired AR40 rotator.

Man this contest has been a KILLER getting prepared for!!  But it looks like
everything is coming together and I look forward to working everyone:-)

73 all, and send me your plans to be included on The Rover Resource Page!
Dan
Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla