[VHFcontesting] Why is this necessary ???

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why is this necessary ???
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:10 2003
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 07:03:08AM -0500, Kip K. wrote:

>> Why is this necessary ???

That is a good question.

> From: "Frey, Richard L (CRD)" <frey@opal.crd.ge.com>
> To: "'mgef@mgef.com'" <mgef@mgef.com>
> Subject: [mgef-only] We Need Rovers Please
>
> Hello everyone.
>

>               The subject says it all.
>

> We have only 6 operators for our 12 sets of local
> rover equipment this June so far.  We need to
> get all our equipment into use if we want to
> ensure a win this contest.

I guess in order to ensure that they win they must
create contacts by sending out an army of rovers
with equipment that the W2SZ team owns and and
would guess maintains.

> Just to give you an idea of what this means...
> 6 local rovers going to 6 local grids generate
> about 500,000 points at the level where we now
> compete. We had 2,400,000 points last June.  Without
> these 6 rovers we can only expect 1,900,000 points
> under the same conditions if we don't put out
> our rovers.  This can EASILY spell the difference
> between winning and losing!!!!!!

Wow - that is alot of points.

It is too bad that they need their own personal rovers
in order to make this score.  I was impressed by their
2.4M score last June and their 3.2M score in September
but now that I see how many points come from rover stations
that they supply all the equipment for - all I can say
is how sad that W2SZ has to manufacture a score by
sending out rovers to the local grids.

Maybe someone near to the W2SZ operation this
question that just came to my mind....

Do these rover stations only work W2SZ or do they also
work all the other locals on these bands too?

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net