[VHFcontesting] Best integrated package for VHF

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Best integrated package for VHF
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:13 2003
Having run a couple of these rigs, I would have to go
for the Kenwood TS2000X.  You get all the VHF bands of
the other, except for 222 mhz in the FT736.  However,
you cannot get 6, 222, and 1296 all in the FT736 at
the same time either.  The receiver works very well,
with the IF DSP and digital filters.  Other
considerations that make me lean towards the TS2000X:

1. It has a built in CW memory keyer
2. Built in autotuner for 6 meters
3. Can get built in voice keyer as an option.  The
FT920 and 756PROs offer this, but also offer only 6
meters.
4. Can set power levels independently for each band.
Great for using amps on different bands.
5. Has built in sub receiver.  Great for monitoring
the local simplex frequency for making FM simplex
QSOs, or for the VHF repeater for contest spots.
6. One ACC port controls all switching and audio input
for WSJT, PSK, etc.  Contrast this with the Icom 746,
where their ACC setup is the dumbest thing I have seen
yet.  Need one cable for audio in and 6 meter PTT, and
a different cable for 2 meter PTT (but no audio in on
this cable).  It looks like the 706 series is set up
the same.

I am interested in seeing how people rate the FT100D
for VHF contesting.

73s John NE0P