[VHFcontesting] microwave loop boom

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] microwave loop boom
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:25 2003
I don't know of any reason why you can't use a square boom.  The only
thing is that the lengths of the elements may need to be adjusted
somewhat, as more boom metal is closer to the element where it attaches to
the boom.  Most people like to stick with the design they know works,
instead of trying to redesign it because of boom detuning effects.  I
don't know how drastic those may be in this case; it may be insignificant.

I find loop yagis to be tremendously tolerant of bent elements. When I
take mine on a portable operation, I always manage to get some elements
bent up in the car and then just rebend them when I have the antenna on a
mast. I haven't noticed any degradation in performance.

73, Zack W9SZ