[VHFcontesting] FD - V/U/uW activity

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FD - V/U/uW activity
From: ka5cvh@ka5cvh.com (Mike Urich, KA5CVH)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:26 2003
I agree that the fate of not only the V/U/uW bands but all bands is entirely
up to us.

At the same time, I believe that the League and its publications needs to
first, reflect that need; and second, support all reasonable efforts to
protect our privileges. This also extends to the other amateur radio
publications and organizations as well. It seems to me, (and I stand to be
corrected, if not sent to the corner with a whippin' if so warranted), that
the League is *MORE* concerned with the HF bands (on any level) than the
V/U/uW bands.  That doesn't mean I think that the League isn't concerned
about the V/U/uW  bands, its just that is seems they do so at a lower
priority level.  We can set back and complain that the internet & computers
has disrupted growth to the hobby on a technical level, and that is probably
true to some minor degree.  We can also set back and complain the cell
phones have taken away the mystique of making autopatch's on you V/UHF HT or
mobile rig and that is true without question.  The bottom line is where do
we move from here?  How do we demo the hobby in a manner to attract newbies?

I like what Neil had to say about raising the level of V/U/uW activity
during FD.  A quick look at the FD rules revealed no difference between HF
and V/U/uW contacts.  The only difference is in mode (7.1) and power (7.2).
I'd like to see the point structure for FD V/U/uW contacts mirror the
Jan/Jun/Sept contest scoring rules, ie, using band / mode / grid square not
just mode / ARRL sections.  Another thing that *MAY* need to be changed it
to eliminate the Class D to Class D contact restriction for FD on the V/U/uW
bands.  I think this could/should/would improve activity on these bands
during FD.  Another possibility to just merge the June V/U/uW QSO party into
FD somehow.

How about a special FD class for special interests / modes such as;

1) V/U/uW (only) rover, other than the "all band" class C
2) ARES/RACES/Skywarn/RedCross/EOC stations
3) MSOTA (Museum Ships)
4) IOTA (Islands)
5) ATV
6) Others?

Or, does this just further muddy the waters?  OK ... I have my NOMEX on and
awaiting any and all flame mail :-)

OH ! ! ! BTW ... can we have FD during January just once?  We've become too
accustomed to air conditioning in the south for this kind of stuff in late
June!

Loose ramblings from a lunatic.

Mike Urich,   KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com