[VHFcontesting] Limited Multi Class

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Limited Multi Class
From: k8isk@erols.com (Terry Price)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:18 2003
I rarely post to these reflectors but I had to comment on this.

I have done VHF contesting since 1980 as both a multiop and single op. The
last 10 years has been with the Grid Pirates, K8GP. The league is so far out
of it they don't know what century it is. Dan Henderson is the first person
in the contest branch that tries but I'm sure the politics have him
hog-tied. If the league lets him continue, I think he will make it better.

All of the catagories and rules need to be revamped. There should be a
limited single op class for the guy that only has four bands. The point
values should reflect the current technology. 30 years ago when microwave
equipment was all home built from surplus, a points bonus was necessary.
When you can pick up the phone (or computer) and order a 10G transverter
from DEM or SSB, why does this rate a bonus; it's another band and thus gets
extra grids and Q's. With all the rovers out there, why are QSO's with your
own operators in a multiop still legal?

GO TO DISTANCE SCORING, give the guys in the midwest a chance. I started VHF
operating from Cincinnati, Ohio. I know how frustrating it is to scratch for
every Q. I now live in Virginia and now understand why the scores are so
lopsided. I can work more on FM with 25w from here than I could work from
Ohio with 1500w on SSB! I can not even imagine what the folks in the west
must do, with the sparse VHF population.

The league wonders why participation is going down, all they have to do is
look at ANY other form of competition and they will see the governing body
keeps the playing field level. How much fun would it be if Jeff Gordon won
all the NASCAR races or the Dallas Cowboys won all the Super Bowls.

If this reflector is the forum for discussion, then let's have a open,
non-flaming discussion. Everyone has ideas, maybe someone will listen.

Sorry to rant but this one gets me going.

Terry Price,
K8ISK - K8GP Contest Group