[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Contest rules review study de AA7A

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Contest rules review study de AA7A
From: callbill@hotmail.com (Bill Olson)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:19 2003
>I being a single-op multi-band home QTH station see a lot of unbalance in
>the way stations like K8GP (sorry Terry) getting away with self-serving
>rovers to boost their scores. I can see a time when that was a good thing,
>but guys like me can't even break 10,000 QSO points with our stations and
>locations, and to try and compete with 1.8 mil (I think was the Pirates'
>last raw score) is beyond comprehension for most of us.

Hi Jim! Oooh I said I'd be quiet, but... urk...

But... a single op station is NOT IN competition with the multiop! Plus a
REAL LOT of stations work the multiop for a new grid or state!! Plus you
might even work one of his rovers - not that it matters because the big
mountaintop multiop station is pointing his antenna all over the place
working his rovers and that makes him more likely to work other stations to
give them a new grid or state. It takes a LOT of work to build a good
reliable all band rover station. We have a couple at K1WHS. They DO work
other stations, but not many since the purpose is to work our station and
then get to the next grid. Some of these guys do a LOT of travelling. How
does it help the situation to make these type of "captive" (if you will)
rovers go away?? It would make the big scores go down, but the multiops are
only competing with other multiops... plus as we all know it's
unenforceable.. the "captive" rover would just have to work ONE other
station.. Is it unethical?? I don't know, but I don't see how it hurts.
There are many ways to actually "cheat" in a contest. Working stations on
the phone, just plain making up QSO's, to name a few. "Captive rover" qso's
are legal and real.

Someone with a lot of resources is always going to find the way to push the
rules to the limit. This will happen no matter what you change!!!

whew. I gotta stop doing this!!

See you on in Sept Jim!

bill K1DY