[VHFcontesting] Re: COME ROVER, COME ROVER Info for a New Rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: COME ROVER, COME ROVER Info for a New Rover
From: KA0TP@aol.com (KA0TP@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:20 2003
    You can do good as a Rover, or you can have fun as a Rover...
So keep your goal in mind. The Top Rover stations run 12-14 grids or more.
One team worked 23+ grids in the past. That is awful tiring!

    I have been doing the VHF contest, mainly as a Rover only since January
2001. I'm usually just in two or three grids. Usually with the main Three
bands, 6M, 2M, and 70 CM but once with 5 bands... 6M, 2M, 1.25M, 70CM, and
1296. ,Two of those bands were using Handhelds... It worked for a few grid
multipliers! 100 miles is possible with a handheld from a good (HIGH)
location to the "Big Guns) with Gain antennas, so don't give up on a band
just because you don't have the latest equipment.
Some links to my pages. Check out setup!
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/ka0tp/JanContest.html";>VHF Contest</A>
http://hometown.aol.com/ka0tp/JanContest.html
 <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/ka0tp/JuneVHF01.html";>June 2001 VHF Contest
</A>
http://hometown.aol.com/ka0tp/JuneVHF01.html

    I chose to do Rover as moving around for the contest allows me to work
all hearable stations more than once... Every time you change grids, you can
work everyone again...
    Main thing is to Operate!  That means get to your first point BEFORE the
contest starts... So you can be ready to go when the time starts... Talk up
the contest on the air beforehand, even if it is just a few minutes...It
insures you know the equipment is operating, lets the other Contestors know
you are out there,  etc.
    Know where you are going.  Whether that means good maps or scouting
beforehand or both.... Getting lost or having to back track makes for a
rotten trip...
    And get your equipment setup so you can be comfortable when you operate.
So antennas that have to go up, go quick,  and you don't get too tired trying
to operate, etc...

But most important, HAVE FUN!

VHF Weak Signal Email relector  - vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
vhfcontesting@contesting.com

I'll send this email along to the Reflectors as it should encouarage more
advice...

here are links for some of the Guys who have a lot more expertise...

 <A HREF="http://users.rio.com/kg7fu/wsop.html";>KG7FU Weak Signal VHF
operating</A>
http://users.rio.com/kg7fu/wsop.html
 <A HREF="http://www.qsl.net/km0t/goodburn1.wav";>The Amateur Radio Home Page