[VHFcontesting] Looking for new xcvr

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Looking for new xcvr
From: k1whs@worldpath.net (DAVID C. OLEAN)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:22 2003
Hello Brad,
I would have to echo Ken Harker's comments. Both the 726 and the 736,
while nice radios to use, do not have the dynamic range needed in
serious contest conditions. I used a 726 for quite awhile, and had fun
with it, but it would definitely suffer from reciprical mixing and a
phase noise prone LO. On weaker signals it is not a problem. I must
admit, though, that it did not die on the summit of Mt. Washington.
(Some radios do die there!)  The later high end HF radios are much
better with dynamic range than older ones. My vote is always to use a
good transverter with a bullet proof HF radio.
    The best bang for the buck, in my opinion, (and I think Ken's as
well) is to use the Elecraft K2 with a transverter. It is inexpensive,
small, and works like a $3000 radio. Couple that rig with a new
generation transverter with very low gain. You don't have all the bells
and whistles of the Japanese rigs, but the darn thing works! I use K2s
and Ten Tec OMNI V radios as IFs . (Good price to performance ratio!)

73
dave K1WHS