[VHFcontesting] W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
Ed Kucharski wrote:

> o How can log submission be made easier?
>
> How much easier can log submission be?

This is a question that should be asked of those that operated, and didn't
submit a log.  The problem is, we don't know what the "problem" is yet.
Gene...is the problem fewer log submissions or fewer participants or something
else?  Your article covered a very broad base of topics (including fun and
reward and "leveling the playing field" and all sorts of emotional issues that
have bee fodder for dead-band discussions on the Internet lists over the years)
and I'm still unclear.

----- If "the problem" is declining participation -----
Each major region of VHF activity has a big-gun that has probably been
submitting Cabrillo logs for several years now.  Mine-out those unique calls
that appear in their logs to see if participation is actually declining or not.
This is the first thing to determine.

*If* participation is actually declining, ask the VHF community about the "fun
factor" and the "reward factor"...to generate more base-participants.  Then
examine each-and-every rule and policy (rule interpretation) to see if it works
(even inadvertently) in opposition to making the event fun and rewarding.

----- If "the problem" is fewer log submissions -----
*If* participation is not declining (as evidenced by a steady or increasing
unique callsign base), then refocus on making log submission easy and
rewarding...by asking the non-submitters this very easy question, "What got in
the way of you submitting a log?".

----- If it's something else -----
Tell us what you believe needs fixing.

Ev, W2EV