[VHFcontesting] Increasing submitted logs and participation

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Increasing submitted logs and participation
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:43 2003
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Mark wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is it really about increasing logs or just participation?  Would you be
> happier with 200 more logs submitted or with 200 new operators active in
> the next VHF/UHF test? Submitting a log is not necessarily the end all
> answer to the dwindling participation issue which has arisen in the last
> few years. I know that the intent of this thread was not participation
> however it was a nice transition back into participation.

I'd be more than happy with 200 more people active in this area, whether
or not they sent in their logs.  They'd be in MY log and I would send it
in.  If I had 200 people to work on 2304 and up, I'd be ecstatic!

> So, what are we going to do about it?????

I've been talking up VHF+ operation and contesting for some time.  Sooner
or later some people are going to get more interested.  If I can get just
a couple new people on one band for each contest, I hope it will start a
snowball effect.

Taking some microwave gear to a hamfest and setting it up, maybe having a
couple QSO's on a couple bands across the parking lot would even inspire a
few people.

73, Zack W9SZ