[VHFcontesting] "Ideal" Contest Rig Continued..

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] "Ideal" Contest Rig Continued..
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:35 2003
On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:05:43AM -0500, Mark S. Adams, P.E. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I really like what Duane, N9DG, is saying in regards to using a computer to
> look at the bands.  Thinking about my rover op a few weeks ago, it is
> sometimes VERY frustrating to hear guys talking about a 6M opening, then
> tuning the band and hearing NO ONE!  If you tune past a bunch of guys who
> aren't talking but you'd otherwise hear, you are really missing out. I spun
> the dial like mad to find Q's and only worked the VE1 during the opening.
> Very dissapointing.
>
> I am imagining N9DG's setup in my rover using say a Jupiter and DEMI
> transverter for 6M.  I could have the N4PY program running in a window
> while I work stations on 2M and log them in RoverLog. The band scan would
> clearly SHOW new stations calling on 6M and a click of the mouse would put
> me on frequency to work them. This sounds really cool!

This starts getting into interesting ethical questions for contesters.

As someone on CQ-Contest pointed out recently, it is technically possible
for someone to program a computer with an interfaced rig to trawl the
contest bands during a CW or RTTY contest, decode everything it can,
and when it comes across patterns that look a station running or calling
CQ, add an entry to the bandmap.  The contester can merrily hold a run
frequency while his computers go off and find additional stations for him
to work.  The more interfaced listening rigs, the better the software, the
more effective his bandmap production will be.  Forget SO2R (single operator,
two radios) - look out for SO6R (single operator, six robots.)

Perhaps the VHF SSB contester's equivalent is software that scans the bands,
applies various algorithms that identify characteristics of SSB signals, and
tells the contester, if not actual callsigns, that there are signals on
50.153, 50.165, 50.171, etc.  Perhaps the day will even come when software
decodes SSB and Amateur phonetics into text callsigns.

So, building automated contest support robots might be feasible, but
how desirable is it?  Would this be a good thing for contesting?  Doesn't
this sort of eliminate or reduce the need for radio operators to learn
skills that contesting has traditionally rewarded?  Does it cheapen the
skill of copying callsigns?  Of feeling your way through a sudden band
opening?  How many more VHF contesters would never, _ever_ stray from
144.200 without their computer telling them where to go?

Sort of like captive rovers and pre-arranged skeds, there may be serious
ethical implications to this sort of envelope-pushing.  Already, NCJ contests
contain the following rule: "All contacts must be sent and received using
means requiring real-time human intervention, detection and initiation."
Perhaps other contests should consider similar long-term solutions to
these problems.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops