[VHFcontesting] Re: Statement regarding the use of BEACONet in ARRL VHF

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Statement regarding the use of BEACONet in ARRL VHF Contests
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:33 2003
No one at the ARRL knows how BEACONet-for-Rovers works.  As a result, such a
decision or statement about it's use during VHF Contests is, at best, ill
conceived.

How do I know that no one knows enough to pass judgment?  Because I invented
BEACONet-for-Rovers and no one at the ARRL has ever approached me about how it
is configured or how it works (even the BEACONet web site doesn't have any
information on it yet!).

It is not spotting or self-spotting in nature.  No matter how often you say it
Dan, the facts don't change...it is not.  Interestingly, until the term
"spotting" can be defined (it isn't defined anywhere I can find, btw), it
appears that one can define it any way they want to and no one can say
differently.  Foul!

> However, so there is no misunderstanding: the use of BEACONet to solicit
> contacts during the contest period may make your entry subject to action by
> the ARRL Awards Committee.

To be fair, so that there is no misunderstanding:  If BEACONet-for-Rovers
operation DQ's a contestant's entry, then so will simply picking up your
microphone and saying, "CQ Contest, this is N1ND in FN31nm".  That is all that
BEACONet-for-Rovers does...it just happens to use simplex AX.25 rather than
simplex SSB....yet this is a strategy commonly used when soliciting contacts on
SSB.

So...
o What is the definition of "spotting"?
o Who is on this "Awards Committee" and how do I contact them on this matter?

It's time to give them accurate information and put this to bed -- either way it
ends up.

Thanks and 73,
Evhen Tupis, W2EV

PS.  Please Reply-all, Dan...at least on the definition of "spotting", would
you?