[VHFcontesting] N9RLA After Action Report, The 2003 ARRL January VHF Swe

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N9RLA After Action Report, The 2003 ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes
From: danlevans@msn.com (Dan Evans N9RLA)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:33 2003
N9RLA After Action Report
The 2003 ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

This contest has been a bit slow.  So slow in fact, I'm writing this at
3:30pm Sunday afternoon.  The rig is still on, but contacts have been few
and far between.  I was expecting this contest to be a bit slow since my
Rover  vehicle is still getting the transmission rebuilt, leaving me to work
this one from home.  My home station is pretty small.  On 6 meters I have
100watts and 2 elements at 25', and on 2 I have 100 watts and 10 elements at
35'.  I don't have any antennas up for 432, so I left the transverter in the
box for this contest.

Even after most of the contest is over, and calling cq until my voice keyer
is horse, I've only managed a couple of dozen QSO's.  Activity seems low,
and the bands just won't cooperate.  Best DX so far is from my home in EM78
to EM64 on 2 meters.  Honorable mention is EM57, and EN80 on both bands.  6
meters did show some signs of life early Sunday morning.  I heard several
long "pings".  I copied K1TEO for a couple of seconds, and another station
in FN31, but never enough to make a contact.  I also battled some nasty line
noise all weekend.

I didn't expect much with my small station, but I had hoped to do better.
Particularly since, after 10 years and thousands of QSO's, this is the last
contest for N9RLA.  Yep, I finally talked myself into applying for a vanity
call sign:-)  It should come through any day now.  The lure of a shorter
call with easier phonetics finally overcame my attachment to my original
call.

Here's hoping that we all do better in June!
73
Dan
N9RLA for now.

Dan Evans N9RLA