[VHFcontesting] K7XC/R - Jan VHF Sweeps Summary (Long)

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K7XC/R - Jan VHF Sweeps Summary (Long)
From: timm@cccomm.net (Tim Marek)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:34 2003
           2003 JANUARY ARRL VHF SWEEPSTAKES
       Call Used- K7XC/R, ARRL Division- PACIFIC,
Grid Squares- DM04, DM14, DM15, DM05, CM95, DM06, CM96,
CM97, CM87, CM88, CM98, CM99, CM89, CN80, CN90, DM09.
       Rover, OPs = Tim - K7XC & Tim - NS9E
--Valid QSOs-QSO Points-Multipliers
  50 MHz 136 |x1| 136 18
 144 MHz 211 |x1| 211 22
 222 MHz  96 |x2| 192 13
 432 MHz 149 |x2| 298 19
1296 Mhz  23 |x4|  92  8
Total- 615 Qs, 929 Points, 80 Mults + 16 Grids Activated
Claimed Final Score - 89,184
HOURS OPERATING - ALL

STATION:
1997 F150XL 4x4 w/#8 wire from the battery to a 12 pos Rigrunner system.
 50 - 706IIG 100W, KB6KQ Loop
144 - 706IIG 170W Pair new KQ loops or 4 ele Yagi
222 - 706IIG DEMI xvtr 140W KQ Loop
432 - 706IIG 110W M2 Eggbeater or 7 ele Yagi
1296- 290A DEMI xvtr 3W Vert mag mount stuck on side of truck

Everything worked well except the 1296 xvtr which went deaf after working
ND6N/R and N6TEB/R parked nearby. My guess is the first rcv preamp was
overloaded by the proximity of the other rover and died. Luckily Tim - NS9E
brought his DEMI xvtr and once we figured out what was wrong it took only a
few minutes to switch. Best thing? The HF/50 and 144/432 Duplexers worked
like a charm! No relays and automatic antenna/port selection made it very
easy to use one radio for 4 bands. Properly programmed memories made it a
very simple thing to turn one knob and instantly QSY between 4 bands, Very
cool!

COMMENTS: This was Tim - NS9E's third trip in the right seat. We logged
real-time on a laptop for the third time now with very good results. I
wonder how I ever logged on paper for all those years! We began the contest
outside Edwards AFB at the DM04/05/14/15 grid corner. This spot has easy
access to all four grids and works very well!. We started next to the
railroad tracks at a site called "Bissell" DM04 then East a bit, turn left
paralleling the Edwards AFB boundary fence DM14 and then 200 Yards further
up the road DM15. Across the hwy and west towards Mojave we find a high spot
1/2 mile north of the road DM05. Next we went over the mtns to Hwy 5. Then
North to Kettleman City where we turned and raced up the hill to CM95. Here
is where we ran into fellow Rovers, N6TEB/R, N6DN/R, and KG6GMT/R. Going
down the hill to DM05 we all worked again and then up Hwy 5 a tad to DM06 we
did it yet again. Across the center median and back to K City, we enjoyed a
brief dinner at the "In N Out Burger" with the N6TEB/R crew, Great guys!.
Gassed up we headed north to the hills above Avenal CA that N6TEB/R told us
about. Thanks again Guys! We didn't see a thing in the dense fog but boy
were the signals impressive! Back down the hill and into CM97 we stopped at
the Motel 6 in Sanata Nella.

Up at 4am the next morning and after hot meal at Denny's, we continue north
on Hwy 5 as we planned to be atop Mt Diablo CM97 early in the morning. We
were the first people through the South gate and once up top, man what a
view! Fog below us, everywhere as far as the eye could see, with the
mountains poking out here and there, very pretty! I set up our drive on
mount and small yagis for 2 and 432. I forgot the boom to mast clamps for
these antennas so we "Duct Tapped" them to the mast. Fortunately I was using
heavy wall aluminum military masts that break down for the mast which
allowed them to be carried as such in the bed of the truck between stops.
Looked goofy as hell but they played just fine. Off the hill we got lost and
went out the North gate. Never ever use the north gate! Takes forever to get
back to the Hwy 680 North freeway. Over the straights to Benicia and CM88,
through Vallejo, Fairfield, and at Vacaville CM98 we turn North on the Hwy
505 cutoff to Hwy 5. At the College City exit we work our way eat to the
Farmers field in CM99. Its a good thing we didn't have to go much further as
the road was closed due to flooding 100 yards beyond our stop. Back on Hwy 5
North CM89 we raced to Red Bluff CN80 where we got gas and food as this was
our last opportunity till we get back to Reno. Now on Hwy 36 East we break
into CN90. Not stopping we continue through Susanville CA. Now on Hwy 395
South we cross the border back into NV DM09. Stopping briefly on the high
spot before dropping in the Reno Valley we start to find some locals on FM.
Begging them to turn on all their rigs and work us, we manage to make
contacts on 146, 223, and 446 Mhz for 3 brand new multipliers. Moving onward
with 10 mins left I work my to the quickest highspot in the clear which is
the back parking lot of TMCC community College. Here we worked a few folks
on 2 SSB in CM98 when time runs out.

Look for us to repeat this route in Sept of 2003. It worked so well we plan
on not changing a thing! Hopefully we will have 2, 3, and 10 Ghz running by
then as well.

"I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
Amateur Radio in my country. My report is correct and true to the best of my
knowledge. I agree to be bound by the decisions of the ARRL Awards
Committee."

1/25/2003 - Timothy C. Marek - K7XC - DM09

http://k7xc.tripod.com/K7XCweaksignal/