[VHFcontesting] Contests Rules...

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contests Rules...
From: Ray@w9ray.org (Ray Johnson)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:48 2003
I fail to see where it states in the contest rules that Digital modes
are not allowed... Many hundreds of digital mode contacts are made
every contest.
 Actually the rules say nothing about modes you can't use, Just
1.4.Stations may be worked for credit only once per band from any
given grid square, regardless of mode(BINGO).....
you cannot use 146.52.....
Cross-band contacts are not permitted.....
Contacts made through repeaters, digipeaters, or gateways are not
permitted...
 And a rule some people dont know about ..2.3.2.A rover may not
operate with more than one call sign.

Just my 2 cents worth... its all written on paper..

Ray J
W9RAY
EN44gt
ABCDE
WWW.W9RAY.ORG

> There is much confusion at the ARRL and even more out on the air. I
was told
> last September that non-digital modes (Except CW) were NOT permitted
in the
> VHF-UHF contests. They are permitted in other contests. Last
December,
> before Beacon net was approved, I attempted to get a number of
applications
> approved and received several e-mails from Dan explaining why they
were not.

> I made several attempts to get the ARRL to make a statement about
the issue.
> They seem to want to stay off the subject because it is complicated.
Hence
> my e-mails to the vhf list. We are now a month away from the next
contest.

> Right now I can't even use Pac term and Beacon net does not support
JT44.

> Everyone seems to have a misunderstanding about what you did. First
everyone
> needs to understand the Layers, non-standard compared to the ISO
model but I
> might suggest a simple view:
>
> Layer 1 transport - FM / ssb / other
> Layer 2 protocol  - AX25 / PSK31 / JT44 / others
> Layer 3 Application - Beacon net / Hyper term / WSJT / etc
> Layer 4 the HAM - KE3HT / others  (This is where most rules
violations
> occur)
>
> Basically, rules adherence wise, all you did was make your program
run
> without a a grid or other location information did you not? The AX25
part is
> the same as used by any other application is not configured with
> digipeteing. Why can't I use a different application with AX25? The
ARRL has
> not approved it nor explained the terms with which they permitted
Beacon
> net.
>
> The issue of self spotting seems to be a vague problem as well.
Calling CQ
> on CW or SSB with a GRID or lat/long appears to be accepted,
everyone does
> it. Yet it appears to be illegal to use an automated calling system
like an
> AX25 program with the GRID, it is then called self spotting. I am
not so
> concerned with this part since I don't need to CQ with my grid or
lat/long.
> WSJT can be configured by not using the standard CQ text and omit
the GRID.
> But if its in the rules we should obey it.
>
> I have the hope of being able to convince others to use JT44 or
PSK31 but