[VHFcontesting] The "Art" of VHF Contesting [Was: Captivating Rovers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The "Art" of VHF Contesting [Was: Captivating Rovers]
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:48 2003
--- "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net> wrote:

>    BTW...there's a difference between a captive
> rover and
>          a captivated rover.  The first has yet to
> be proven
>          to exist.  The second is drawn to work you,
> much like
>          a candy store captivates my three year old
> twins.

I suspect that the first may indeed exist but I have
yet to see it from here. I can't see how it could be
at all rewarding for those who would, especially the
"captive" rover.

> ---- The MegaMultiop (though this fits top SO's,
> too) ----
> o You are the 800 pound gorilla...high power, good
> location, good
>   antennas and trained operators.

Actually as little as 200 lbs. will do, what is most
important is to be consistent with your level of
contest participation. Doing so you will fairly
quickly become a 200 lb. gorilla too, regardless of
how sophisticated your stations is or how many bands
you have.

> o You hear a Rover (and know that they will be there
> only as long as
>   they're having fun [oh no, not THAT again!].

Yep, and if they aren't making Q's they won't stay on
grid for long. The rovers will often post their
intended timelines, they are rarely able to stick to
them for whatever reason. This is where your own
strategy comes into play. You cannot sit and wait for
them, it is counter productive for you to do so, but
you don't want miss them either. The solution is
simple, keep your antennas moving and make lots of
noise by calling CQ as much as your equipment will
allow without over heating. Between calls tune up and
down the band a minimum of +/- 50 KHz of the calling
frequency for 2M example, however do not expect to be
particularly successful at this by parking on a
calling frequency.

> o You get their attention (see the first bullet) and
> run-the-bands
>   as quickly and intensly (see the second bullet) as
> you can, employing
>   tactics that include verbal intensity, cajole and
> pseudo intimidation.

Absolutely do whatever you must (while remaining
polite and respectful) to get their attention. If you
hear 2 stations about to run the bands jump in there
quickly, be fast and efficient with making the Q('s),
follow them through the bands if you have them. I will
always work someone who tail ends my Q with someone
else as I'm about to run the bands. The key is they
must be quick about it, if they are not then the first
station I was about to run the bands with will become
annoyed, I don't want to let that happen because that
will cause my gorilla weight to drop.

> The Rover complies (cause it's fun to run all of
> those bands with someone who
> can be easily worked).  <-- re-read this line.  Now
> for the kicker...
>
> ---- The Rover ----
> Who are you going to spend more time (it's limited
> in any one location)
> attempting to work?
> A. An easily heard, well trainied multiop with all
> the bands you have
> B. A relatively hard to hear SOLP with three of the
> bottom 4 bands

Well "trained" or practiced, same thing. Again its the
consistency of your participation that is the big
factor here.

> This brings yet another discussion full circle: the
> lamentation that the VHF
> contest has turned into a defacto microwave contest.
>  There's a reason for
> uwaves to have such a draw.  Don't be the "last
> caveman to discover fire".
>
> o Get active on those other bands (the Rovers will
> love YOU more).

And not just the rovers but all those other gorillas,
- who are 800 lbs. AND less.

> o Get noticable power (the Rovers will love YOU
> more).

I wouldn?t get too hung up on adding power first, if
you have to choose where to spend money, - put the
money into antennas and coax before power, but power
does definitely help. If your location is the pits for
VHF consider rovering yourself, or operate portable.
No matter what you do about your station setup you DO
NOT want to cling to the calling frequencies, if you
are weak you will not be heard above the din of all
the other strong locals. And you will not hear
stations like me who are relatively speaking out in
the sticks - regardless of my power. DO NOT just park
on the calling frequencies and just listen, make some
calls on frequencies that are away from the calling
frequencies, (or occasionally on the calling frequency
when it?s completely dead but then move off and away
from it once you stir up some activity).

> o Practice running the bands quickly and efficiently
> (the Rovers
>   will love YOU more).

The importance of this cannot be over stressed. It is
also very important to make your presence known, call
CQ's as much as your equipment and/or voice will
allow. I've gone into work many a Monday after a VHF
contest with no voice. The voice keying in Writelog
has fixed that problem for me :).

It is also prudent to ID profusely, even when doing
idle chit chat with the locals during a lull in
activity. More than once I have worked a new Q and
mult be cause I heard some folks chit chatting and got
their attention, it would be easier if they were
ID'ing frequently (that's why I do), as it is I'm
generally alerted by their non upper Midwest accent. I
will Jump in there as quickly as I can, make the new
Q(s) and mult(s), often within seconds, and then that
micro "opening" will often just as quickly close. This
phenomenon was especially apparent here in EN53 this
last January contest.

Since so many will only park and listen on the calling
frequencies I will on occasion call CQ there myself.
However as soon as I stir some activity I move up or
down the band 30, 40, 50 or more KHz and often make a
small run of Q's. When on the calling freq I will
state my intentions of what I'm doing along with my
call so others who might have noticed the activity
know where to look. I know that I will not be heard on
the calling frequency when I'm weak because of my
distance from the population centers. My sig will be
buried under the cluster of locals on the calling
frequency at the distant location I?m trying work. Now
for those in the higher population areas who didn't
actually hear me it is to your benefit to be looking
up and down the band as well, specifically for a bunch
your bigger gun neighbors who did follow me, they can
be your beacons for finding activity. Once the hubbub
of the stronger stations who are working me die down
I'll still stick in there for a little while and still
be looking for Q's. I will also be calling CQ few more
times, so you may actually hear me then because your
strong locals will have already moved on and you'll no
longer have that interference to contend with anymore.
If I try to hold the calling freq you will never hear
me and may likely miss me as a new multiplier and Q
because of it.

> Before long...they'll know to find YOU.  B-i-n-g-o:
> you've CAPTIVATED them.

Yupp, the name of the game is make them want to look
for you. If you never call CQ yourself they will never
learn of you presence on the band or in contests in
general. This applies to all participants? not just
rovers.

> This is the best kept secret of the "top 10%" of the
> score submitters.

They really aren?t secrets, they are learned
strategies, I?ve just tossed many of mine out there
for consideration. From what I can tell many of the
higher scoring stations also use very similar
techniques, or variations of it

And despite the belief that you must have the
microwave bands to place in the top 10 nationwide, it
can be done without them. Look at the detailed SOLP
results for the June 2002 contest on the ARRL website
for example.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj