[VHFcontesting] need pre-Dayton help

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] need pre-Dayton help
From: kg4qdz@arrl.net (KG4QDZ)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003
Greetings,

Being relatively new, and going to Dayton for the first time, I need some
advice. My wife is a new ham with a tech license and hopes to upgrade soon.
I know this is probably not a strictly VHF question, but you guys are where
I go to for advice ;) We would like to get a few things, but on a budget,
and still don't know much about the qualities of the various radio models,
especially in real use (the sales stuff makes 'em all look good). So, I hope
you'll offer me some elmering and send me a few answers to the questions
below. I'll keep it short, but if you have any advice, feel free to
share.... Private reply is OK if it's too off topic for the list. Thanks.

- What would be your pick for best HF/6 all mode base rig, and what would be
a 'gotta get it' price?

- If you were cash constrained, what would the best HF/6 base rig be and at
what price?

- Do you think HF and 6m should be separate rigs? Then please answer above
for each.

- What would your best 2m/430 all mode portable rig be and at what price?

- Any advice on these decisions?

BTW, all prices are used prices, but in good shape.

73, Skip