[VHFcontesting] 50MHz Spring Sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 50MHz Spring Sprint
From: k1whs@worldpath.net (David Olean)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003
Sprint! What sprint?
    I got on about 8:00 PM and was greeted by a wall of power line noise,
which made receiving anything less than S5 impossible. The noise blanker
helped abit, but conditions were just impossible. To add to the frustration,
there was no propagation at all. I never turned on the big generator. It
gulps 1.65 gallons of diesel per hour, so just ran 100 watts. I worked about
20 stations in 6 grids. Best DX was FN20. I almost missed my own grid, and
only worked two grids out of the eight that connected to my grid!
    I did hear K5TR for a short time on CW around 02:30 Z. That and W3ZZ was
the only non local signal heard here.  I am looking for a new hobby.

73
Dave K1WHS