[VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 902 vs 903
From: aa1yn@aa1yn.com (Lee Scott - AA1YN)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003
Hi Bill,

The 902 to 903 portion of the band is in fact part of the Amateur band and
is designated by the ARRL band plan as Narrow-bandwidth, weak-signal
communications. It is a good question why we use the 903 instead of 902.  I
think it has to do with the fact that a lot of 900MHz hand held telephones
are operating in that portion of the band. Since I have (not working at the
moment) a DSP-10 for the IF rig, it made it simple for me to set up the
DSP-10 to display 903.nnn on the frequency while in fact I was working with
a 902 to 144 transverter even though the DSP-10 was putting out 145.nnn
MHz.  I was really surprised as to the telephone activity I could hear on 902.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52