[VHFcontesting] Re: [Mw] Powering microwave amps from portablesupplies

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [Mw] Powering microwave amps from portablesupplies
From: w2drz@madbbs.com (w2drz)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:52 2003
Hi All,

Would suggest a GROUND STAKE tied back to generator frame..

Also may want to hook up a FLAT PANEL display to the laptop,
 see if the noise goes away, as the built in screen on most probable
cause, and normally is disabled when external display is connected, that
is probably the laptop noise..

best tom

Mike73@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/27/03 5:09:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, w3iy@fcc.net
> writes:
>
> > Beware the RFI caused by the Honda EU1000 series generators.
> >  Even with nothing plugged in, mine is a real "jammer" on 6 & 2 meters.
> >  The internal inverter which so nicely preserves 60Hz output
> >  even when the AC load (& hence engine speed) is light seems
> >  to be the culprit.  Acoustically quiet...yes, but unuseable if you plan
> >  to listen on the lower bands.  Maybe there are other models without
> >  the AC inverter which are better.
>
> Weird! I have a EU2000 series. I ran it this weekend to test a new site in
> FN44. It was _extremely_ quiet electrically on 2M. My laptop next to the rig
> made more noise..... 2M antenna was @ 25' with SSB preamp at the feed. The
> portable tower was about 150' feet away from the generator. Generator ran in
> "econo"
> mode. Don't know about 6M.
>
> I'll try and do more tests on this generator next time I'm up North.
>
> 73,
> Mike, N1JEZ/R
> In a previous life - N1MJD/R
> "And in the end, the claims you make are equal to the brains you bake." SSC

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/russk2t/Drz/index.htm

best 73 tom W2DRZ  FN02LA    FCC # PG-20-2479   what we do:
work:   http://www.ramcoinc.com/index.php
        http://www.amtronix.com/
fun:    Wild Women/fast cars*motorcycles/booze
        *** oops that was many yrs ago!!
         now just ham radio and chores for XYL
Lat     42.02.27n       Long    079.04.01w
12 digit grid   FN02LA19XT22    EME on 1296 / 23 cm
6M WAS #505, VUCC 6M #857,2M #166,220 #21,432 #86,902 #29,1296
 #38,2.3 #60,10 GHz #105