[VHFcontesting] Microwave Activity Days

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Microwave Activity Days
From: w3iy@fcc.net (Bill Seabreeze)
Date: Sat Jul 5 20:01:26 2003
Yo,
We had a fun-filled morning from 3360ft in FM08us.  There seemed to
be some decent enhancement in the early hours...as we were driving
down, we ran into NG4C and KG4HOT/m.  Both were nice and loud
as we were on the move.  The drive up the mountain was nice and cool,
and a nice 10/15kt breeze was blowing at the top.  This was good
for airco and for keeping the flies somewhat at bay (we swatted many!).
I didn't realize how nice it was up there, until I came back down to
the hot wx closer to sea level.

Condx were decent to the NE as we heard the CCX 2.3 & 5.7GHz
beacons FB.  Condx were average or below to the NW, however.
I think it's normal to have more trouble shooting through the weather
systems which usually advance from the west....these paths seem to
require an stable HP system...preferably one stalled over Bermuda,
for enhancement. We worked hard for the FB QSO w/Tony WA8RJF
on 2304 CW.  I need to work on my technique for finding stations
to the west.  Never caught up w/NE8I after initial QSO.  Lloyd was
Q5 on 2m SSB from the shores of Lake Erie.

AA2UK was louder than I've ever heard.  I think condx helped, but
Bill also has his 5.7/10G antennas higher on his awesome tower.

As usual, lots of curious passers-by on Skyline Drive.  I had some nice
handouts left over from the contest, and gave out some pro-ham radio
propaganda.  Also gave out some QSL cards.  People seem to like
this stuff.

Here's what we managed to log...
NG4C         FM16vh  B
KG4HOT/m  FM07    B
KB8VAO    EN91pb  B,D
NE8I           EN91(?)    B
W3HMS     FM19av    B,C,D,9,E,F,G,H,I (loud)
W4SW        FM18hx    B,F,G,H,I
AA2UK       FM29pn    B,C,D,9,E,F,G,H,I (loud)
K1RZ           FM19jh    B,C,D,9,E,F,H,I (loud)
W3PO          FM19fm    B,E (new 1296 station!!)
WA4PGI      FM07fm    B,E
K8MD         EN82bq   B
WA3PTV    FM19av     B,I (loud)
WA3EOQ   FM09jo      B,E
WA8RJF     EN91jr       B,D,9,F(long try for A1 QSO)
K2SMN      FM29oj       B
K9OYD       FM18gr      B
(Probably forgot a few...sri...)

All is all, it was a great morning.  Tnx fer all the activity, and
especially
the guys who went out.  It's always great to work the same
crew, and evaluate things on the bands, but it would be nice to get a few
more guys on.  Spread the word, and find us some more company.
Lets try to make poor activity a bad excuse for not trying the high bands.

As usual, we found a few things that need attention before the UHF
contest.  Hope others had as much fun as I did...

Keeping listening for good condx in early morning.  They are coming!
Also, don't forget to try Monday evening between 7-11pm.  There are
even more microwave nuts who come out to play at night!

tnx & 73,
Bill W3IY/R

p.s. Listen for the weak ones...