[VHFcontesting] State QSO Parties as a VHF Contest Model

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] State QSO Parties as a VHF Contest Model
From: ka5cvh@ka5cvh.com (Mike (KA5CVH) Urich)
Date: Sun Jul 13 10:16:47 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: <N3AWS@aol.com>

I can't help but think that if FM oriented clubs would get involved we could
entice some repeater/appliance type operators to at least try simplex
operation.  In many metropolitan areas dozens, perhaps hundreds, of contacts
would be
possible with just an HT or mobile rig.  This might "set the hook" and get
some new blood on the VHF bands for the major contests.

Mike wrote

I agree ... during FD-2003, we CLARC / K5HOU, were not doing any good on
V/UHF SSB so I went to 146.405 FM and started going up in .005 steps
skipping .51-.53 so as to stay away from .52 all the way to 146.595.  I
jumped to 147 which put my radio (FT-736R) on 147.595 and started going down
to 147.405 again in .005 steps. We made a few contacts but that was all.
Its my opinion that we all know where to look for 50 / 144 / 222 / 430 / etc
SSB/CW activity.  BUT, we really don't in my opinion have a clear plan for
working FM stations.  Maybe we should encourage FM contesting activity in
the 145.5-145.8, (FM simplex), portion of 2 meters and avoid the 146 / 147
simplex freq's all together.  If we, contestors, establish that as a contest
band plan, then we can get that info out and then get magaizines /
newsletters / clubs / repeater operators etc to publisize that info.

The only problem I see with this is that ISS uses 144.8 down but how many
times do we have NA1SS on the air for a contest.  Yes, we heard Ed during FD
but didn't have enough horsepower for him to hear us. :-(

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com
http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/vhfindex.htm