[VHFcontesting] Re: Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Why we participate [was:REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Fri Jul 25 15:44:42 2003
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, jon jones wrote:

> >I am not trying to control an aspect of CU2QSO.  I am referring to rules
> that limit what you can and can't do during a contest and still be called
> a single-operator - unassisted.
>
> Actually, maybe that's it..  the CU2QSO system is a spotting system where
> the guy you are about to work is giving you assistance in spotting?  - Tree
>
> I agree with Tree on this one. Nothing against CU2QSO, but really - using it
> is single op assisted. Fine to use it in contests, but in the correct
> category.  Not fair to those operating without such assistance.
>
> - Jon NØJK

Someone seems to be missing something here.  Does calling CQ or answering
a CQ put you in "assisted" category?  Does working someone on PSK put you
in the assisted category?  Does saying "What other bands do you have?" and
then working up the bands put you in assisted category?

I don't see that CU2QSO is any more "assisted" than these other things.
The only different feature I see is that you get a neat screen to show you
where you and the Rover are located.  But that's not really any different
than saying "CQ contest de W9SZ in EN50xf".  The info still comes from the
station you're working, not from someone else.

I just see it as another resource and aonther mode of operation.  Another
tool that doesn't put you in an "assisted" category.  Whether you choose
to use it or not is up to you.

73, Zack W9SZ