[VHFcontesting] RE: Grids WAS: Captive Rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: Grids WAS: Captive Rovers
From: jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov (DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA))
Date: Tue Jul 29 10:45:36 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>

It seems to me that each of these captive rovers are manned by one or more
people.  You would think that these people were enjoying themselves, or
they would not waste a weekend driving around to work one particular
team.  Who are we to say that they should not be allowed to do this?

Mike wrote

Legally these captive rovers are making legit contacts as I see it.  Does it
give certain clubs / teams an unfair advantage?  That would depend upon whom
you ask.  Now I'm not for amending the rules but lets face it, it does put
us flatlanders in less densely populated grids at a greater disadvantage.
That however is the price we pay for living where we do.

So why not lets just do away with grids while we're changing rules. The grid
concept was conceived in an attempt to level the playing field from a
multiplier standpoint.  The multipliers for V/UHF contests used to be
counted the same way as for HF contests and that was by ARRL sections, not
grids.  You could drive all over Texas and only have 3 sections, other large
(sq miles) states were less lucky and the entire state is just one section.
And don't ask me what year that was because I don't know.

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com
http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/vhfindex.htm

While we're at it, could someone address the smaller (on average) grid sizes
of the north & northeast?  Seems like those guys in the NE get all the good
luck with population density and shorter distances to drive to get to the
next grid!!!  Not that I'm competing with them anyway. :)