[VHFcontesting] captive rovers=red herring

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] captive rovers=red herring
From: rwmcgwier@comcast.net (Robert McGwier)
Date: Wed Jul 30 13:50:44 2003
The ARRL and its committees are not unlike the FCC these days.
Lawyers rule everything.  The League is desperate to get out
of band plans for fear of being sued by some itinerant repeater
association and how far behind can the contest rules be?

While my read of motivations may be too strong, I suspect operationally,
you will find it little different from thinking it to be true.
This committee will be reluctant to act where there is not at least
some attempt made at consensus by the VHF contesting/award hunting
community.

I am doing roving and building up as the way to get into the higher
bands and get early feedback. I remain completely unaffiliated with
any contest station.  I spend a few dollars per contest to add a
piece of equipment and this same equipment I make sure can be
used at home.  It will take me a while to build up a complete
station for all but time with my roving partner spent on getting
ready and tinkering is as much fun (and in some bad contest environments
more fun) as operating.  I like having the freedom to choose when and
where I will operate that comes from being unaffiliated.

Bob
N4HY