[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring
From: n9rla@yahoo.com (Dan Evans)
Date: Wed Jul 30 17:55:38 2003

Defining a captive...and/or who is at fault?

I believe if a group, or anyone else, can spare
equipment, then they should be encouraged to do so.
And even applauded for their contributions.  If the
loan of the equipment requires an agreement that the
rover work ONLY them, then that is unethical.  And
said equipment should be refused.

For a Rover to set out to make QSO's with only one
station, and REFUSE to work other stations is
unethical and against the rules, as others have shown.
 However, if me and my buddy Larry down the road
modify a couple of laser pointers so we can QSO with
each other during contests, then this should be fine.
Even though I'm certainly not going to be able to find
anyone else to contact with the equipment....

Now the trouble.  The only one I can really see at
fault would be the captive Rover.  The captive Rover
who refuses to work other stations is operating in a
manner that is unethical and against the rules.
However, since he is also not likely to turn in a log,
how do you "punish" this poor behavior?

Do captive Rovers exist?  I have no reason to doubt
the folks who say they do, but I find it hard to
believe that someone would go through all of this
trouble to contact 1 station!!

What do we do about captive Rovers?....  Nothing.  I
see no possible way of punishing the guilty without
negatively effecting the innocent as well.  Sorry, but
sometimes life just isn't fair.  If you can't deal
with it, move your group out here to Indiana.  There
are no captive rovers here, and we sure could use some
more RF out this way:-)

73
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF