[VHFcontesting] Rovers borrowing equipment

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Rovers borrowing equipment
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jul 31 12:28:33 2003
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Bill Burgess wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> There seems to be an assumption that rovers almost always borrow
> equipment from others whom they will then favour in contesting.  Until
> this thread started I was unaware of any of this happening.  As a ham
> who has been a rover three times thus far, I will clarify my position.
>
> I have always used only my own equipment, with the exception of the
> last contest, CQ where I borrowed a 706 from a ham owning 3 of them who
> has never contested nor does he own any beams, vhf or otherwise.  He is
> the club president of the Northshore ARC who uses these extra rigs for
> club events, contesting not being a part of this club.  My reason for
> borrowing is because my 2 meter gear is dead and I have yet to replace
> it.  But in borrowing, I now know definitely that this is not the rig
> for me for contesting.

I think most of the rovers in this area, if not all, started out like I
did, operating from home or portable and gradually building up and
improving their systems.  I imagine one of these years I will give roving
a try.  But it will be all with my own equipment.  Now, if someone wants
to buy me a van or SUV, I'm open to offers!  :)

Zack W9SZ