[VHFcontesting] Info/experience with TS790A and IC820H

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Info/experience with TS790A and IC820H
From: wa1hco@adelphia.net (jeff millar)
Date: Wed Aug 13 23:59:44 2003
I've owned a TS-790A since it came out.  On 2m it runs with a 13 el
Cushcraft at 90ft and on 70 cm it with a 13 el K1FO at 90 ft, fed with 7/8
inch hardline.  Both bands perform about the same.  I can get from Southern
NH down into Southern NJ, Eastern PA any time without a PA or Preamp.  I'd
rate the receiver as quite adequate.  The tuning an other operational
controls seem quite reasonable.

I recently upgraded to a triband TS-790A and made a few local contacts on
1296...no antenna, yet...just using the 432 beam on the 3rd harmonic.

I also recently got an FT-857 for mobile use and ran it in the shack a bit
in the recent contest.  It performed about the same as the TS-790A on
receive and transmit.

jeff, wa1hco