Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance please on 2 meters

To: Bill Burgess <braillist@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance please on 2 meters
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:51:24 -0500
On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:15:13AM -0400, Bill Burgess wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am testing a Mirage 160 watt brick driven by a Kenwood TS-700A.
>
> I need assistance to listen for me and respond in ssb or in email.  It has
> been reported yesterday that the 700 is dead on frequency in the 446-147 and
> 147-148 ranges but is 30 kc lower than the dial reads on 144-145.  I need
> this to be verified so I can either seek a resolution or adjust the dial to
> compensate for the error.

I am familiar with the Kenwood TS-600, which is the six meter version of the
radio.

As far as being "dead" on the 146-148 ranges, you might check the MHz switch
on the lower right of the front panel.  This selects between 144.000-144.999,
145.000-145.999, 146.000-146.999, and 147.000-147.999 ranges.  The switch
might not be making good contact on the upper two positions.  Also, check to
be sure that you didn't accidentally have the VFO/XTALs switch set to one of
the XTAL positions.

Adjusting the analog dial is relatively painless.  The rig has a feature
where it can generate marker tones internally at 100 kHz steps.  I don't have
the TS-600 or its manual any more, or I'd look up the appropriate page numbers.