[VHFcontesting] Wow! What a sprint! (John Geiger)

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Wow! What a sprint! (John Geiger)
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:03:42 +0000
John:

Excellent Es conditions for the 6M Sprint and congrats on your contacts. One of the best October Es openings I can recall ever. Wonder if the recent high solar activity is the cause?

Here in Kansas I got on the radio during the last hour of the Sprint and worked Colorado. Louisiana, Michigan, Ontario and Texas with 10 watts and a dipole from home. Heard K0GU and K0YW running stations like the HF Sweepstakes contest. K0YW hit 60 over S9! K0GU made over 200 QSOs, and VE3CDP/W9 worked two LUs. What a nice "pre-Halloween" treat.

- Jon N0JK em17 KS

I wasn't expecting much for the 6 meter sprint-just figured that I would make a couple of local contacts. Boy was I wrong. I saw K0YW spotted a few times, so figured I would turn on the 6 meter rig. heard him on, but not very strong. Right after that AA7J in DN30 came pounding in here on .125. A little while later I heard VE3CDP/W9 in EM58, so I swung the mini quad east. Suddenly the band just burst open with signals from .125 up past .200. Maine and Vermont called me! I worked a total of 34 QSOs and 25 grids-mainly trying to find RI for state number 50. Did work ME, NH, and VT in 1 land, and heard CT but didn't work them.

Did get EN42 for a new grid, and FN10 for a grid I
still need confirmed.  Hope everyone else had as much
fun as I did.  You have to love those surprise
openings on 6!

73s John NE0P EM04to