Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps [was: A suggestio

To: "Hoffman, Mark" <mhoffman@microwavedata.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps [was: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:59:07 -0600
Just for the record I would like to point out a few things...

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:33:23AM -0500, Hoffman, Mark wrote:

> There is equally as much stratification based on geography in HF as there is
> in VHF. You really believe that any M/M station you construct in TX stands a
> chance in HELL of beating KC1XX, W3LPL or K3LR?

Yes - it has been done.

> Or in SOHP - can you beat
> KQ2M, KT1V, AA1K?

Yes it has been done several times.

> Or K4JA, K1AR in M/2?

Yes - it has been done - in fact one year the
winner for ARRL DX M/2 was form Texas and was also
the station with the biggest score in the contest
beating even the east coast M/M stations.

> How about K1KI, N3RS in M/S? I doubt

Yes - it has been done.

> it. How about the best SOHP(A)? Try catching KI1G, W2UP. Let's see. That's

Yes - it has been done.

Were any of these wins easy?

No

Most required years and years of work and some amount of
luck in getting just the right mix of band conditions, station
and operator.

At this point I must confess that I have *not* been
following this thread except for getting some great
laughs out of a few of the first posts I saw on Sunday.

So keep that in mind when you read my following comments.
It is very doubtful that I will fit in or make much
sense as it relates to anything that has come before.  :-)

> If all a contest is about winning - then you have a natural disadvantage
> (geography), HF AND VHF. Instead of trying to force those who ENJOY the
> advantage to come down to your level, either consider bringing yourself UP
> to a level where you CAN make a competitive difference - or being content in
> what you HAVE accomplished.

I generally agree with the above.

I enjoy the Limited Multi category.

But if it did not exist I would still be on the VHF/UHF bands
doing the contest in the M/U category.

Would I ever be able to win M/U category - not likely unless
I was willing to field 10 or 20 rover stations to work me.

(Didn't someone in one of the magazines write an article about
 winning M/U from Kansas by just working your own rovers?)

The June VHF contest is a contest that can be won
from Texas or Kansas - I think in every category
except for M/U.  Is it easy?  No it is not easy
it takes a lot of work and a lot of luck in getting
good propagation.

The other question is - Will I ever add more bands?
Yes I will - that is the plan - might even do some
M/U or single operations to use them in a contest.

Will I keep entering M/L in the June contest - Yes.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net