RE: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps [was: A su ggesti

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for Limiting MultiOps [was: A su ggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: "Hoffman, Mark" <mhoffman@microwavedata.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:14:38 -0500
RIGHT ON!

Ken, this is EXACTLY the problem with getting more action on the microwaves!
It's expensive (or can be, at least), time consuming and sometimes
frustrating like no tomorrow! The BEST support mechanism for this are
local/regional clubs. RMG, NTMS, Packrats, NEWS, NLRS ,Rochester VHF, SBMS,
(and others I apologize for not listing!)... these ARE the place to get
support and whatnot to help in the effort of building up.

Within all of these groups are a hardcore, dedicated group of folks who WANT
to see more activity. And NOT just at contest time. I'll say this, 80% of my
operating time on the microwaves is OUTSIDE of contests. Usually to offer a
signal for testing, or just to hose around.

I've done the surplus route for all my stuff, which is NOT the optimal
performance. Overall, my microwave station has cost no more than $2000 over
6 years to construct 903 - 10GHz. In terms of time, it's taken every bit of
that. I've had more time than money - now with the birth of my daughter 1.5
years ago - time is now a real precious quantity. Believe me, if it were a
"open the box, plug it in and go" solution, I'm sure lots of folks would be
fiddling with the microwaves.

You are mostly right, that we ARE a niche group. The major manufacturers
won't create gear where there's no market. Yet there is a market, but those
in it won't buy something when they've already got stuff that's as good or
better. Thus, it's unlikely we'll see an FT-100-like radio that has 903,
1296 or other bands for that cheap a price anytime soon. Thus, it's
incumbent on us to "roll our own". That's a GREAT idea for someone to run
with. Build "Microwave Stations" which include the IF rig, switching, etc -
all for one price. Provide a TRULY "out of the box" station. It's DOABLE,
just need someone who's willing to offer this service. Hmm........

Happy Holidays all, as I receed back into my cave...

Mark, K2AXX