Re: [VHFcontesting] COST OF 432 AND HIGHER

To: N5tif@aol.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] COST OF 432 AND HIGHER
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:44:26 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 N5tif@aol.com wrote:

> ( I bit the bullet and finally got that 10 GHz
> Transverter from Downeast Microwave and should be ready to run in the June
> Contest.)??
>
> He is sure right about biting the bullet the cost of just get one band above
> 432 is too much.  What 350 for one that you have to put together and higher
> for an assemble one.
> This is the reasons that the many of us are not on these bands.  Its a hard
> sell for me to put that much money in a rig just for one band and the only
> time
> to use it when we have tropo or contest.  Sure is a lot of time just sitting
> there when there is no activity but noise.  There got to be a cheaper way to
> get on these bands.
>

> LEE N5TIF 73

Yes, there is a less expensive way but it involves some work.

I just recently built the 3456 MHz transverter that is in the ARRL
UHF/Microwave Projects Manual Vol. 2 (W1VT design) from scratch.  The PC
board templates are at the ARRL software site in pdf and ps formats.  I
made my own board, accumulated all the parts myself.  The transverter
probably cost between $50 and $100.

73, Zack W9SZ