Re: [VHFcontesting] Interesting comments from W3ZZ

To: Anonymous Coward <n0cal@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Interesting comments from W3ZZ
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:53:51 -0800 (PST)
And how about the people who quit this contest because
they don't like the rule change.  or even quit the
ARRL along with it?

First off, what evidence is there that limiting the
bands to 432 or 1296 as the top band is going to do
anything more to attract the FT100 and IC706 crowd?
Has a survey of those rig owners been done to prove
this?  Has any sort of needs accessment been done?  I
have not seen 1 post on this or other reflectors that
thought that it was a good idea for the June contest.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the MO for the ARRL in
recent years.  Do whatever they want regardless of
what the membership things.

Along the same line:  What evidence is there that
people are avoiding the ARRL VHF contests because they
don't have microwave capability?  CQ Magazine seems to
think the same thing, which is why they greatly cut
down the CQ VHF contest.  The biggest problem with the
CQ VHF contest was not the inclusion of the microwave
bands, it was lack of organization.  You would not see
the results for one year's contest until after the
contest the following year.  I know people who still
haven't received certificates for that contest.

Somehow this idea got started that there is this large
group of people out there who really want to contest,
but have the attitude of "You have to have microwave
capabilities to win the contest, and I don't have
microwave capabilities, so the heck with it."  So we
get to thinking if we remove the microwave bands all
of these people will come back.  I believe that this
is a completely facitious idea, but maybe I am really
wrong.

How about limiting the height of towers for the
contest?  After all, you need your antennas (usually
stacked for each band) at a decent height if you want
to win.  Why don't the rest of us say the heck with
it, I am not going to VHF contest anymore.  Then the
ARRL will put a height limit of 30 feet on antennas to
win the rest of us back.

They also need to eliminate the use of preamps, and
make everyone move to flat terrain.

73s John NE0P
EM04-one who still contests without bands above 432