[VHFcontesting] Mounting omni loops to tower legs

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Mounting omni loops to tower legs
From: "Todd and Sandy Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:24:32 -0600
  On Friday, I'm going to be mounting the Par OmniLoops I have on the side of
my house to a better location on the side of a 100' tower.  They are a 2-stack
of 6m loops and a 2-stack of 2m loops.

  The tower guy has concerns about how having them mounted to a tower might
compromise their pattern or change tuning drastically.  I called Dale at Par
and he said that while I might notice the resonant freq. change a little, he
emphasized I could mount the loops directly to the tower leg.

  I'm asking anyone here who has experience with this matter to share their
experience.

  The section of tower that we would be mounting to is perfectly vertical, so
the loops would be directly above each other, per the instructions from Par.  I
plan on keeping the current spacing of roughly 13' for the 6m loops and roughly
4 1/2' on the 2m loops.  I assume (always a little dangerous, hi) that if I
simply put the 2m loops proportionately inside the 6m loops (the way I've seen
rovers do it) that will be fine.

  Just concerned about whether the loops should be offset from the tower a
certain distance.  And whether if I go ahead and mount them directly to the
tower leg, will performance change appreciably.

  Looking forward to replies as the tower guy has some time on Friday,
  73,
  Todd  KC9BQA  EN63ao

  PS:  For those of you who have helped me with various questions over the past
year or so, thanks much.  The beams at 100-115' for 50, 144, 222 and 432 are up
and ready for some spring and summer propagation.