[VHFcontesting] 6m_Sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6m_Sprint
From: "Bill Seabreeze" <w3iy@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 10:10:32 -0400
Yo,
We decided to venture up the Skyline Drive for the 6m sprint last nite.
We weren't expecting much in terms of condx, and there weren't any
to speak of.  It was a fun experience, though, finding 6m stations to work,
and the activity was pretty darned good.  The first 30min or so was pretty
busy with fast action, and lots of stations.  It's nice to be able to work
guys without calculating headings from 6-digit grids once-in-a while.

Activity into New England was sparse, which was a bit surprising.  Also,
the NW was really quiet, except for EN91.  It was fun working Gene,
WA4PGI from his mountaintop in FM07, and hearing him log all sorts of
SW stations that we couldn't seem to work.  Being short on grids, we decided
to venture over to another overlook with a better south view, and it was
worth it.  Hogback Mtn (FM08us) is a great site, but is badly blocked to the
south.  About a half-mile east is another spot that was quite productive
in these directions (Little Devil Stairs).  It was really fun to find a
bunch of
FM15, 05, 06 stations from the new site.  We usually travel to FM15 for
the beginning ov VHF contests, and never work the grid.  There's a lot of
6m activity down there!! (KJ4RB, KG4UMO, KG4EEA in FM15, &
KG1AJI, W4EJG, W4REG in FM05).  This was cool!!  Also amazing
was the loud-consistent signals from W4SWT in EM95, and W4GRW in
EM96.  We finally found the elusive FM16 grid tnx to KG4QMI.  FM17
was also well-represented by Cornell, KO7YC.  Tnx!

The final score was an unimpressive 67/22, but it was a really fun time on
the bottom end of VHF.  We are hoping to find these guys, and many
more in the June contest.  Tnx for all the 6m action!!

73,
Bill W3IY