Re: [VHFcontesting] IF rigs for transverters

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] IF rigs for transverters
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 10:09:05 -0700
I don't know about the 706mkIIG, but the 706mkII has a full (or much higher) power spike with the power reduced. I almost killed one of my thermistors because of it.

Here is what I am using for my microwave transverters:
706mkII set to 10w driving SMA TR relay, 30db 25w attenuator (provides 10mw out), then each transverter has ~10db of additional SMA attenuators in the TXIF line to set the proper drive level at ~1mw.

With this setup the worst case power spike the transverter TXIF port sees is 2.5mw (assuming 25w drive and 40db total attenuation) and should be safe for my transverters.

The reason I start with 10w is that my 1296 transverter takes 10w drive, plus it also makes for easy attenuator calculations. The disadvantages of this are extra outboard components and the increased current draw (the IF rig is always putting out 10w), which can be an issue on battery power. If I am operating on battery power for extended periods (like the 10g contest) I drop the IF drive to a couple of watts and change the attenuators appropriately.