[VHFcontesting] RE: Where's Maine?? (Future dxpeditions?)

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: Where's Maine?? (Future dxpeditions?)
From: "Carrington, Walter" <Walter.Carrington@umassmed.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:27:56 -0400
Thanks for all the interesting comments.  I guess I should drop my plans for
QRP portable from FN67 :)    It is always nicer to be in a place where it is
possible to make at least one contact.   Probably the coastal grids would work
better,  with some power decent antenna and WSJT.  I have gone portable in a
contest and not heard a single station (Gonset Communicators on Bearpen
Mountain in Catskills,  about 1970) -- not so much fun.  I don't want to be a
rover,  but someday I might try fixed portable to give out a rare grid.

Dave, K1WHS:  "...those pine trees sure soak up rf."  You do amazingly well
through those pines in this direction.

Bill, K1DY:  "...the ABSOLUTE EDGE of all the activity."  We all that past
K1WHS there be only dragons.
"In the June contest (you know.. the SIX meter contest)..."  In northern ME,
wouldn't that be the BLACK FLY contest?   Thanks for the hints on grids that
are sometimes active.

Scott -KI5DR said:
"Not only that, the Grids in Texas are just BIGGER than up North. :-)    "
Scott,  I think you've figured my secret weapon:  the ultimate in grid
circling!!!  Where else but way up north is it only 81 meters to cross a grid?
89 deg. 59' 59"N
Let's see:  180 grids x 180 contacts on each band x 10 bands =??? [lots]
Part of my reason for raising the question is that  I've worked more Texas
stations on 2 meters than Maine stations.  I'm more likely to work Dallas on 2m
than Houlton, ME.

Have fun in the contest everyone.
--Walter, K1CMF
Ashburnham, MA     FN42bq