[VHFcontesting] CQ VHF Contest From VA

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQ VHF Contest From VA
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:05:06 -0400
I've just discovered that I will be in Virginia for the weekend of the CQ VHF Contest, and so I'm seeking advice which might be useful to get on the air.

I am an electrical engineer for DaimlerChrysler, and in that capacity will be attending an off-road weekend called "Camp Jeep" in Charlottesville, VA the weekend of CQ VHF. Looking at the map, Charlottesville is right on the E/W border between FM07 and FM08, and not too far from the N/S border with FM16/17. Now I don't imagine that an FM08 operation would raise much interest, what with the fine job K8GP usually turns in, but FM07 and perhaps FM16/17 would be popular. Also, depending on the route chosen to drive home on Sunday we might be able to activate EM98/99 (although the computer says the northern route through FN00 is faster).

Does anybody have any knowledge of the area who could recommend some good operating sites? I'd expect to be equipped with 100W on both 6M/2M with something like KB6KQ loops clamped on the back of a Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure exactly what my schedule will be for operating time. Is the general terrain such that operating from a hotel parking lot might yield some QSOs or will I need to find a mountain top? (Yes, I know that would be better.)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Are any mountain-top multi-ops going to be on from the area?

73,

Dave/K8CC